Saturday, April 27, 2013

Counting the Omer with Visual Journaling - Day 33


Today is the 33rd day, making four weeks and five days of the Omer - the holiday of Lag BaOmer. Presence within Presence / Humility within Humility:  Hod within Hod. I was in the Red Rock country of Arizona with Mishkan Shalom's Jewish Mindfulness program at this time in 2011.  I remember being disappointed that we couldn't make the customary bonfire for Lag BaOmer because of the drought.  The place was a tinderbox. 

I recently read Janice Steinberg's novel, Death in a City of Mystics.  It's great to have a murder mystery set during the Omer count in the Israeli city of Safed (Tsfat), a hotbed of Jewish mysticism for centuries.  It paints a vivid, almost Disneyesque, picture of the whole community's celebration of Lag B'Omer. 

I haven't had any glimpses about the special meaning of Lag B'Omer, but I definitely enjoyed reading Janice Steinberg's novel!



No comments: