Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"Multiple Visions: A Nation of Immigrants" is exhibition poster!


I was at City Hall yesterday and was finally able to see the Philly VOTE exhibit that I participated in along with the Dumpster Divers.  It was a shock to see my piece, "Multiple Visions:  A Nation of Immigrants", blown up to poster size at the entrance to the City Hall Gallery. No one had told me.  I had gotten used to the idea that it was the image on the electronic postcard.  Now I saw it in large posters in a variety of locations throughout City Hall, as well as on 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" hard copy postcards.


When I actually saw it in its glass case on the second floor,  it was a relief to see it back to normal size, among all the other Dumpster Diver entries:


One advantage of the large poster is that it becomes possible to read "PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION" repeated on the document in the bottom.  
 

The petitioner for naturalization was born in Greece in 1883, occupation Peddler.  This document is among the ephemera discarded by the National Archives and given to the Philadelphia Dumpster Divers, as is the microfilm and the Archives logo from the film box.


I chose this document as a reminder of our long history of being open to immigrants, making for a nation of "Multiple Visions".  The ballot stubs were saved from when I lived in San Diego County.  As I was making this, I realized how fortunate I was to have lived in a border area for over thirty years, infused with Mexican language, music, food, art, and culture.  It was a privilege to live in a bi-cultural area.   The liberty coin atop the peaceful silver scene conveys that liberty includes a sense of safety, a place to have a home and raise one's family.  I think of J.S. Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze".  The United States has always been a haven for people who were not safe in their countries of origin.

I am so proud of our great city this week during the Democratic National Convention, and am very proud that my piece "Multiple Visions: A Nation of Immigrants" plays a part in greeting all the visitors and inviting them to see PHILLY VOTE at City Hall!
















 


No comments: