Friday, September 19, 2008

Constancy & Change



Every morning I had cut the day's weather map out of the newspaper, carefully saving them in a cigar box. I originally started this habit as part of my mixed-media series "Cherish Each Day," using them as collage material. But it also became a form of morning meditation to notice each pattern and remind myself that each day is unique. No two maps are alike, no matter how similar. Some days I would be rushed, or get careless, glance at it, and not cut it out, telling myself that there would always be more in the future.

A few week ago the newspaper changed its format. It took several days for me to grasp that my supply of these patterns is now finite. I am grateful that I have several hundred, but those are all there are. I'm still trying to learn the lesson...

No comments: