Saturday, June 10, 2017

'Monoprint Mania' was well-named


"Monoprint Mania", the first day of a five-day intensive, was a lot of fun.  The black and white and red part of my print above was done in the morning, taught by Andrea Snyder.  The colored glazes were added in the afternoon module, taught by Christine Staughton.  


I love how Christine always references art history in her teaching.  I made the monoprint landscape above inspired by the monoprints of Degas that she showed us.  I was sorry to have missed the exhibit at MoMA last year of Degas' monoprints, but at least there are online images.  Here is an Autumn Landscape by Degas, (1890):


I did go to the second day of the intensive:  paste paper, gelli plates and more, taught by Meg Kennedy.  Two days were enough.  I needed the rest of the time to prepare to meet with Jesse White, the Director of Arts and Spirituality at Pendle Hill, the Quaker Study Center, who had asked me to have a solo exhibit of my clay monoprints from October 5, 2017 - February 1, 2018, in their Tree Rooms Gallery.  It's exciting, and I'll be busy all summer with a different kind of printmaking!  It was good to start the summer though with 'Monoprint Mania', as I gear up for clay monoprinting. 















 


No comments: