Thursday, January 23, 2014

Who Needs an Exhibit to Have Fun?


Only the cafe and gardens of the Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla were open.  The galleries were closed for installation.  I was there to visit with my friend Sheila while back in San Diego for a few days, and we had a great time.

I was marveling at the small fortune required for packing and shipping the crates being unpacked for the exhibition, not to mention storage.  Then I found out it was for a Christo and Jeanne-Claude exhibit...






It was a joy to see the Sarah Sze installation over the stairs.  I first fell in love with her work when it was installed there many years ago.  Seeing it is like visiting an old friend:


In all the years I have looked at this installation, I had never seen it before at quite this angle or color or time of day, looking out over the Pacific.  Part of the brilliance of Sarah Sze's work is how it is an organic landscape - never the same.

Sheila and I had fun posing in the garden with the Niki de Saint Phalle sculpture.  Here's Sheila:


and me:


I love the little dog!


















No comments: